Tuesday, July 10, 2012

July 10, 2012

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am so happy it's raining!! This awful drought has dried up everything, so I'm glad to see some rain. 
Has anyone heard the story that's gone viral of the man kayaking beside a great white in Cape Cod? Well, if you haven't, I shall bring you up to date. You're welcome :)
Crazy, right? That would suck if a great white was lurking behind you on your first kayaking experience. Wow, I can't imagine the feelings he had. I like this video, too, because you're hearing all the different sides of the story from scientists and researchers. It's not just this news story that says, "Look at this menacing predator stalking one of us! We need to stay out of the water and kill every shark we come in contact with! Or else!"
Not too long ago that's actually how people would view sharks. Even now there are multitudes of fishing villages and fishermen who kill sharks for the sport of it, for profit, or just because of their bad reputation.
You might say to me, "But That Girl Who Likes Whales (and I guess sharks now, too), they look so terrifying and have bitten and killed so many people over the years! Why would you want them to be around still? Who cares if they're dead?" Good point. Well, I say to you that sharks and other top predators of the sea keep the ocean food chain going. What I mean is that these guys eat all these other species of fish who eat smaller fish who eat even smaller organisms who eat...you get where I'm going. Anyways, this would be all screwed up if any one part of this chain were to disappear (go extinct). If the oceans are out of whack, we're screwed. 
Just like Captain Paul Watson of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society says, "If the oceans die, we die." Okay, that sounds like a good note to end on. Bye! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger