Saturday, July 7, 2012

July 7, 2012

Welcome, friends and strangers! Loved ones and people I've never met! Ok, y'all, this is my first blog! I was so extremely bored in this apartment that I decided now must be the time to try this thing out. So, so much to say. 
I guess I'll start off with why I chose my name: That Girl Who Likes Whales. Guess what? I kinda like whales. And other things like that, too...Go figure. I actually grew up educating myself in marine biology through different types of media. Well, readers, you may ask, "Oh, That Girl Who Likes Whales, why didn't you learn from experts maybe at a local university or something?" You know, I'm glad you asked, readers. Truth is, I've lived in Tennessee all my life, which is multiple hours from the nearest beach/ocean. Isn't that grand? (Sarcasm.) 
Anyways, yeah, I have been plagued with this overwhelming desire to study and research marine life since my youth. Even though it isn't like a disease or some unfortunate handicap, life still has its challenges because of it. Wanna back story? Good, because here it is:
I was 14 and went to Australia for 20 days. Boom. Yeah, be jealous, I know. This was back in 2007 with the People to People Student Ambassador Program. It was my first time out of the country, and it was frickin Australia, halfway around the world. Awesome! I don't know how I got to be so lucky. 
One of those 20 days I was there, the group I was in went snorkeling off the coast in the Great Barrier Reef. (The GBR is one of the most famous, if not the most famous, reefs in the world. Can be seen from space. Largest living thing on earth. One of the natural wonders of the world. No big deal.) That day, specifically July 2, 2007, if you must know, was the exact day I knew I would officially be a marine biologist. It became my calling in life. This wasn't just a small hobby or interest in my life; it became a part of me. 
On that day God told me I was to be a marine biologist for His kingdom. Insane! I don't know how that's gonna work, but it'll sure be entertaining how it pans out over time, that's for sure. (That's a hint, by the way, to keep reading my blogs!) 
That's the first back story! Love it? Hate it? Actually, I don't really care, no offense. More later!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger